News:

If you're new to this message board, read THIS!

Main Menu
Inzane 17

Polishing Wheels

Started by SlowRoad, Fri 06, Mar 2009, 09:00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowRoad

I used Dag's method to polish my wheels. The rear wheel turned out great, but the front wheel only looks slightly better that stock finish. I did the same procedure on both wheels and even polished longer on the front wheel trying to get a better shine. The front wheel had some staining on it before I started. Is there anything else that I can do to get the same shine out of the front wheel?


DavRed

I polished my front a few months ago. Thats a JOB. Don't have a pic handy . But it came out looking great. Yours just looks like it needs more wet sanding. I started with 400 then went up in increments till I got to 1200. Thats when I started the polishing wheels. Each color a new wheel. I used Black then White then Finished with Red.
If you decide you want to do the rotors. EasyOff oven cleaner will take that NASA hard coating off of them. They were a big job also. But after I had the wheel done you could see the reflection of the not so shinny rotor in there. Hence I took it apart again and did them. I will look for some photos when I get home and post them for you.

SlowRoad

Thanks.  I started with 220, then 400, 800 and 1000 grit paper. Then used rubbing compound and polishing compound. The rouge may cut better. I will try to get some and try again. Weather is getting nice here, so I want to get it back together asap so it will be ready to go.  I just don't understand why the rear turned out better and I used the same procedure. Even did more sanding and polishing on the front. That may be a project for next maintenance interval. My arms are still aching from this time.  :laugh:

Michael K (Az.)

"I'd never join a club that would have me as a member!" G.Marx

SlowRoad

That is the method that I used. Spent about 6 hours on them.

Smokinjoe-VRCCDS#0005

Quote from: Michael K (Az.) on Fri 06, Mar 2009, 18:25:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KGHuzv8qB0#

Thats a great video Dag did on polishing the wheel ...Don't let Dag kid you I know his secret ...He has a master mechanic that does all his work  :)



I've seen alot of people that thought they were cool , but then again Lord I've seen alot of fools.

fudgie

What do you put on them to keep them looking good?  :-X


Now you're in the world of the wolves...
And we welcome all you sheep...

VRCC-#7196
VRCCDS-#0175
DTR
PGR

MP


"Ridin' with Cycho"

DavRed

#8
Here are a few Pics of my weeks worth of work
Rotor

Used Easy Off and steel wool To get the coating off

Had a beer ortwo, but they look good

Lets not forget them bolts

Here is the done wheel



Done wheel and Rotor

Back on the bike

Polished Forks, Wheel and Rotor




Hope this works

robin

Forget the polishing CHROME them and be done with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cooldude:

DavRed

But then you would miss all that ME time with the Valk... ;D

Dag

Quote from: SlowRoad on Fri 06, Mar 2009, 09:00:50
I used Dag's method to polish my wheels.

I use this hethod, but its not my video.
I dont remeber who made it, but I received a email a couple of years ago with the link to youtube.

I will not take credit for something that`s not my idea :)
The question is not what you look at...but what you see...

John U.

Hey Dag, have you used the CRC Polyurethane Seal Coat on your wheels? I'm interested in trying it. Just wondered if there are any tricks to surface prep or application.
Thanks in advance,
John

Dag

Sorry, but I have not tried it yet. I have bought it, but I have not had time to polish the rims this winter. I have done several mods on my Valk and fixed up an old K7 (sevenfifty)
I think I will have to ride with "grey" rims this season  :-\
The guy I met at Inzane in Germany last summer had very good experience with this coating. And it looked good.
The question is not what you look at...but what you see...

PAVALKER

I use the Mother's Mini Power Ball but use White Diamond as the polish.  After a good speed polish with the Mini Power Ball, a little wipe by hand works great.  That YouTube method and sanding, polishing is a very time consuming, expensive and dirty process, plus you have to remove the wheels.   When I first did my VTX wheels which had never been done for a few years, I used a kitchen nylon pot scrub pad with soft scrub to get the dirt and grim off. Then I smoothed em out with a Brillo Pad  (wet and soapy).... and finally used White Diamond by hand and they turned out great.  Since then I got the Mini Power Ball.... and thankful I did.  I have not needed to scrub em since.  The easier it is to polish em, the more often I don't mind polishing them and the less often they needed polished.... go figure.   ;D

John